No Fault Insurance and Automobile Accident Injuries

If you have been hurt in a car accident you need a lawyer, not an Insurance Adjuster

In Michigan, we have a system of mandatory No-Fault Insurance. This means that YOUR insurance company is supposed to pay for certain things related to a car accident. The state legislature, in 1972, adopted our current "modified no-fault" system. .

When you or a loved one are hurt in a car accident, and have a valid no-fault insurance policy, you are entitled to
have certain expenses paid by your insurance company. These benefits are also known as "PIP" or Personal
Injury Protection benefits.

First, you are entitled to recover all reasonable charges incurred for reasonably necessary products, services, and accommodations for your care, recovery, or rehabilitation. This typically includes all those medical expenses, nursing or attendant care, residential accomodations or modifications, physcial, as well as vocational rehabilitation, special motor vehicular transportation or modification, medical transportation mileage, as well as others.

Secondly, you are entitled to limited benefits for loss of income. You are enetitled to be paid for up to three years of loss of income from work you would have performed after the accident if you had not been injured. Under the law, the work loss benefits are payable at the rate of 85% of gross pay, including overtime. However, the benefits can not exceed a monthly maximum, established by the Insurance Commisioner. You are also entitled to work loss benefits if you are considered "temporarily unemployed" as well.

The third benefit you are entitled to recover under Michigan No Fault Insurance is reimbursement for certain domestic services incurred by the injured person to replace those that you would have performed had the injury not occurred. The maximum amount that you can be reimbursed for these replacement services is $20.00 per day, and they are payable for three years. These replacement services typically includ things such as housekeeping, yard work, home maintenance, babysitting, and others.

Finally, the last compensable No Fault PIP benefit is survivor's loss benefits. These benefits are payable to the dependents of someone who died as a result of the use, ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle. Like with replacement services, the daily maximum for these benefits is capped at $20.00, and they are payable for only three years. These benefits are to compensate the dependents of someone who died for what they would have received for support during their dependency, if the deceased had not suffered the accidental bodily injury causing death.

Now that you know what the benefits are, it is important to understand that your insurance adjuster wants to minimize how much you can get. You need a tough and experienced lawyer to fight for your rights, and to maximize the recovery that you are entitled to receive through your contract of No Fault Insurance.

At The Kemp Law Firm, P.L.L.C., we understand the stress of being in a car or other automobile accident, Our trained and skilled staff have successfully helped our clients get compensated for their injuries, and get the insurance benefits they deserve.

However, you are still able to sue the person who hit your, or who caused the auotmobile accident. If they are insured, that person's insurance company will likely pick up the tab. Click here for more information.

Contact Us today for a free consultation and evaluation of your case.